Wednesday 20 June 2007

Bit and Piece...

JOANNA LUMLEY SOUNDS ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS EVEN IN PRINT
Before you read these words, put on a husky breathy voice with a posh English accent. "They've never approached me. I must say I'm sitting here on my hands bitterly waiting for something to come through the letter box. But they've never come near me, so I guess it's not on the cards." That was Joanna Lumley (aka Patsy Stone in Ab Fab) talking to the Radio Times about desperately wanting to play a role on Doctor Who, where she would, of course, be brilliant.

I recently saw an episode of the heinous Geraldine McEwan Miss Marple series in France where La Lumley played a toothy gin-soaked Lady of Sutchandsutch. The French actress dubbing her was all raucous, raspy and strangely randy sounding, all breathy in the wrong way like she was about to lift up her skirts and do something rude. Absolutely wrong.


THE COVER OF THE NME SAYS NOTHING TO ME ABOUT MY LIFE
Yawn! Glasto 2007. I know I would probably love the festival if I went, (I have to repeat that over and over again to people who have been), but I can safely say I don't want to. Don't get me wrong, I actually like being around Glasto bores because it does sound like a world away from everything for a weekend and the idea of Shirley Bassey high kicking in a pair of wellies (she's on the bill!) just cracks me up. But, from a distance. Like a London bar full of gayers who have no interest in tents, wellies and (aptly named) The Enemy.

BTW, the NME cover actually looks like a pantomime poster. But I digress...

This morning, Bjork, bless her, went off on one about her love for the festival and how the ancient and savage instincts for tribal gathering sums up Glasto for her. Listen again to Radio Four's Today programme. Scroll down to the 8.00am clip.

2 comments:

Brett said...

La Lumley still looks good for a woman of her years. Wish her too for a role as the evil queen/alien/prime minster in DR Who...hopefully not too much of stereotyped role for her...

Phil said...

She does look good doesn't she? I think she'll deffo play some posh upper crust baddie.