Sunday 25 February 2007

Every day is like sunday...

Reminded of great pop moments by:
Chelsea Kelsey, one half of Duckie's Reader's Wifes, on his fabulosa Bengobaz blog talks about a screening of the Boy George "Generations of Love" vid at last week's House Of Homosexual Culture’s Hall Of Fame inauguration event. Veteran uphill gardener Tallulah, a stalwart of the scene; a DJ before all other DJ's was welcomed via the rear entrance (no doubt). He talks of the video showing George and Leigh Bowery rolling around Soho. There's a shot from said clip and yes, that IS Boy George in ACTUAL drag...
And XO London trips down Bananarama's memory lane with a fab YouTube vid of ALL 36 'Nana vids. Aw. It reminds me, though, of the French and Saunders YouTube sketch, Lanananeeneenoonoo presented by the tragically gorgeous Paula Yates... And the resulting collaboration with the real 'Nanas for Comic Relief...

3 comments:

V said...

Hello! Came over from XO's blog.

I've recently discovered an album that George had done a couple of years ago (found it on iTunes) under the name The Twin which takes on the image of the whole Leigh Bowery thing. Do you have this? I'm tempted to download it as I haven't been able to find the actual CD anywhere.

By the way, love the Lananeeneenoonoono thing. I have all the F&S DVDs and watch them constantly, this is one of my favorites.

Phil said...

Thanks for popping in V! I like The Twin album but it is a bit hit and miss. I would cherry-pick from iTunes like I did. The thing with George album's are that he writes constantly and never as a 'whole' album in one concept. Hence, they tend to sound like a hotch potch of styles he has drawn a full-stop under before moving on. In concert recently, his new style was Ragga... not to everyone's taste but I loved it. My favourite track is Never Over You - the theme might be VERY George... but the music is so different from his usual stuff.

V said...

Thanks Phil, I'll take your suggestion and pick out those that really stand out for me.

I kind of like the idea of a non-concept album. For someone like me who gets into just about every genre of music. Suits me fine, really :)